Plastic bag method
I can guess one thing about you. You are here because you are an ice cream lover like me! Making ice cream at home is so much fun since it’s fast, you will use just a few ingredients and no special equipment is needed. Most cookbooks expect you to have an Ice Cream Maker, but don’t you worry, I’ve got your back. Since we are learning how to make Ice Cream at home, we’ll shake and toss around the ingredients inside a tightly sealed ziplock bag, in place of the ice cream machine.
While making Ice cream, salt is one of the most essential ingredients. Here is why.
When salt is mixed with ice, it lowers the freezing point of ice and creates an extra cold environment that quickly absorbs heat. This causes the ice cream base to freeze.
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk, chilled
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Medium-size bowl
- ½ cup salt
- 2 quart-sized plastic ziplock bag
- 1 gallon-sized plastic ziplock freezer bag
- 4 cups crushed ice cubes
- Take the medium-size bowl, pour the milk and sugar then stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the cream, vanilla, and salt then stir all together until combined.
- Pour the Ice cream mixture into the quart-size ziplock bag, squeezing out as much air as possible then seal it tightly.
- Place this bag inside the other quart bag, once again, squeeze out as much air as possible and seal it.
- Put the bags inside the gallon-size ziplock bag and fill it with the crushed ice then sprinkle the salt in the ice. This is where the salt lowers the freezing point of the ice, to create a cold environment, for the ice cream mixture to freeze.
- Ensure the ice surrounds the ice cream mixture then wrap the bag with a towel.
- Massage the bag while shaking it vigorously for about 8 minutes or until the ice cream is frozen. The more you shake and massage the bag, the smoother our ice cream will be. Ice Cream solves everything.
2 thoughts on “The Easiest Way to Make Ice Cream at Home”